Our Angel, Mackenzie

Monday, May 21, 2012

Dear God

Dear God,

It seems like just yesterday that I learnt you were ready for my baby in heaven.  It seems like just yesterday I prayed for your strength.  It seems like just yesterday that I left that cold hospital room without my daughter.  I pray that she is safe in your hands, and watches over us with joy.

God, it seems like an eternity ago that I held my sweet daughter.  It seems like just yesterday that I touched her soft skin.  It seems like just yesterday that I kissed her rosy cheek.  I look to you in prayer to continue to heal my broken heart.

God do you have birthday parties in heaven?  Today is Mackenzie's first birthday.  I gave birth to an angel on this day one year ago, but I know she was yours long before.  Is Mackenzie playing with the other little ones who's mommies grieve their short lives?  Is she playing ring around a rosy with Kyle, Dustin, Brennan, Harris, Jacob, Thomas, and Jaren?  Will her great grandpas George and Bernard be there to bounce her on their knees?  Will her name sakes, Great Great Grandma Mary & Great Grandma Mary be there to bake her the most wonderful cake?  Will cousin, Jim, be there to tickle her with delight?  Will great auntie Shirley be there to tie ribbons in her hair? 

God, do you have balloons in heaven?  Big sister Anna would want Mackenzie to have balloons for her birthday.  Who will sing her happy birthday?  Who will kiss her when she bumps her head cause she's so excited to open her presents?  Will there be someone there to throw her up in the air, catching her as she squeals? 

Did Mackenzie catch the balloons we sent up to her?  Did she hear us sing "Happy Birthday"? 

*   *   *

God, for the last year I have questioned why my daughter was taken to heaven so soon.  I have searched and searched for an answer.  I have cried at the thought of my body not being enough for her.  God, today I give all that worry and unrest to you.  I know you will take care of these questions for me.  I realise there is nothing I could have done differently.
I trust in your knowledge and plan for my life, and my family.  I know you will be the everything Mackenzie needs in heaven, and the everything we need here on earth.

On this day I give it all to you...

Amen


*   *   *

Yesterday we remembered Mackenzie Mary and celebrated the people who have helped us through.

The day started with church at Trinity.  I had asked our new pastor, Rick, to do a little something in her memory.  He did a wonderful job.  He had a candle at the front of the alter that he had our little family light for Mackenzie.  Jeff had a very hard time during the lighting and the sermon.  Our congregation was celebrating Resurrection Sunday, which was really quite fitting.  Pastor Rick included Mackenzie's obituary in his sermon and spoke of her and our family.  We sat in our pew, a few sobs escaping out lungs.  Anna was intertwined on our knees in a little ball, as she comforted both Jeff and I.  She was sitting on Jeff's knee but I had my arms around her, locking around her and Jeff's arms.  It felt good to have that moment together.  Tears spilt down my cheeks like lava from a volcano.  Silently rolling in waves. 

After the sermon we sang "Jesus Loves Me".  There were more tears.  Not just tears of sadness but tears of acknowledgement that God is control and he does love us no matter what.  Once church was over we got the balloons out that we were going to let go of for Mackenzie and her little friends in heaven.  Well, the helium didn't survive the night very well!!!  Guess we will blow them up the day of next time!  We all walked out to Mackenzie's beautiful little spot, as a family we laid the beautiful flower bouquet our florist made.  We let the kids play and giggle.  It was so peaceful.











 
We joined at our home by family and friends for a wonderful BBQ.  The wind was quite cool but we braved it to sit on the deck for as long as we could, then we retreated to the house for cake and ice cream.  It was a beautiful, wonderful day.  We were surrounded by people who have helped us this past year, and I know they will continue to be here for us.   Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Today is Mackenzie's birthday, we're having a quite day at home.  Just what it needs to be.

 

6 comments:

  1. You always move me when I read your blog, today is no different I'm glad your love of God has gotten you through this hard year. Your such a strong woman even if I'm sure you don't feel it and often wish you didn't have to be. I also want to thank you for including my Jacob in Mackenzies celebration. She is always in my thought. Love you lots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a beautiful post Tyann. I'm so glad you had a nice day remembering and celebrating Mackenzie's life. It's cute to think of her surrounded by all of her little boy friends in Heaven! So kind and thoughtful of you to include the other babies in your thoughts, it brought a tear to my eye. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tyann your blog is as Beautiful as OUR ANGEL MACKENZIE.....You have shared your last year so well....I am PROUD of your STRENGTH and FAITH...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have tears streaming down my face right now. You are a beautiful spirit and so thoughtful even in your grief. Mackenzie got her balloons, I know she did. And Thomas and her other friends all celebrated with her. And I think knowing my kids Thomas mashed cake into her hair.
    Happy birthday, beautiful girl. Huge bug hugs, beautiful Tyann.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful and moving as always! *hugs and love* to you and your family on Mackenzies special day. YOu are always in our thoughts and prayers! I know she was a stunning little Angel on her birthday with Cake squished everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 2 Corinthians 5:7&8 "for we are living a life of faith, and not one of sight. 8 So we have a cheerful confidence, and we anticipate with greater delight being banished from the body and going home to the Lord."

    ReplyDelete